Nine Tips to optimise your “GOLD PHONE CALLING” Efforts
I believe that the place to start with “GOLD PHONE CALLING”, is with the best times to use the phone, as a tool to make appointments with future customers.
Research shows that the best times for making “GOLD PHONE CALLS” to future customers is:
- Wednesdays and Thursdays are the two best days of the week to make “GOLD PHONE CALLS”.
- The reason for this is obvious:
- Mondays are the day of the week, where people are transitioning back into work mode after enjoying their weekend off.
- Fridays are the place, where people start to tune out of their week, as they gear up for the weekend.
- Wednesdays and Thursdays on the other hand, sees people settled into their work week and so they are more likely to respond positively to a “GOLD PHONE CALL”.
- The best time of day to call is between 11H00 and 12H00 in the morning and 16H00 and 17H00.
- Between 11H00 and 12H00, most people are wrapping-up their morning tasks and preparing for lunch. This makes them more likely to respond positively to “GOLD PHONE CALLS”
- Between 16H00 and 17H00, people are winding down for the day, so they are more likely to respond positively to a “GOLD PHONE CALL”, between these hours.
- During these hours, people are less likely to want to start a new task, which means that they are more likely to take your call and accept a meeting request with you.
- You are also more likely to go straight through to the decision maker, as the Gatekeeper will have left for the day.
As you can imagine, you want to utlise your time for making “GOLD PHONE CALLS” as wisely as possible. Planning your week, where you plan to make your GOLD PHONE CALLS” as described above, means that you will enjoy far more success, when using the phone.
One of the best tips I have found when making “GOLD PHONE CALLS” is to always make another “5 calls”. As you know success with “GOLD PHONE CALLING”, is a numbers game. When you apply the “RULE of FIVE”, where you make another “5 calls” every time you feel like you have made enough calls, supports you to increase the number of calls you make.
The more “GOLD TELEPHONE CALLS” you make, the more likely you are going to have a positive outcome, where you get to arrange a meeting with a future customer. Persistence and consistency is the key to achieving success when calling.
The first five seconds of the call are the most crucial. Remember that you don’t get a second chance to make a great first impression. Prepare properly before each call and have a very clear idea in your head about exactly what you are going to say to your prospect, during that crucial first five seconds.
That crucial first five seconds, is not just about just “GETTING” your prospects attention. It is all about “HOLDING” their attention long enough to get them to agree to listen to your “PITCH” or sales message. Try to always say something interesting, straight out of the gate.
That crucial first 5 seconds is all about engagement or said differently, it is all about making such a remarkable first impression, that your prospective future customer, agrees to listen to you for another 3 – 5 minutes. It is during those next 3 – 5 minutes that you have the opportunity to show them why they should agree to meet with you or a representative from your company.
Remember that all you are trying to sell during a “GOLD PHONE CALL” is an appointment. Be certain that you use the following words ‘The reason for my call is ________________”.
When you can make this reason a captivating one, which is aligned with exactly what will help that future customer to:
- Solve a challenge
- Provide them a better solution
- Save them or their team time
- Make more money
- Reduce costs
- Improve their life experience
When designing the first five seconds of your message think about your future customers position or state, before they buy your product or service. Use this as a starting point. Next think about their improved sate after buying your product or service.
Undesirable State before employing GR8 Sales, to develop effective sales process and converting this into the sales team’s new sales success habit set.
Sales team is not achieving their sales targets, which means that the sales leadership is constantly putting out fires and utilising most of their time measuring and monitoring poor performance and trying to uncover reasons for this, so that they can report to the exco.
Desirable state after complimentary mind storming session and Sales Training Intervention
“Sales team has a crystal-clear picture around the right sales activities they need to perform daily, in fact they have a new sales success habit set, which drives them to perform all the right sales activities. Their new sales success habit set supports them to consistently achieve their sales targets, which frees up the sales leadership to become leaders and coaches. The coaching and leadership support they now are able to offer, will also aid your sales team to keep improving their performance. This all adds up to a far more successful sales team and improved sales performance”.
The first five seconds of the call could go something like this:
Good morning Mr. James, my name is Natalie and I am calling from GR8 sales. We support sales teams to optimise their sales processes and then we upskill them to develop a new sales success habit set that ensures that they consistently achieve their sales targets. Is this something that would be of interest to you.
Once you have got permission to continue, speak to the customers pain points, challenges or the optimised solution your products or services offers.
Keep polishing and honing your first 5 seconds until you can say yes to the following two questions:
- Does it keep the buyer on the phone?
- Does it allow the conversation to progress towards an arranged meeting?
The second 3 – 5 Minutes of the call
The most important thing during the next 3 – 5 minutes is to put forward
a compelling reason why your future customer should agree to a meeting with you. During this part of the call stay focused on your future customers after state.
As you speak to the more desirable after state, you are consistently showing meaningful reasons why, they will benefit from investing time to meet with you. Test a few different approaches and keep honing and adjusting it until you reach the magic number of an 8% success rate.
In the example above the desired after state is:
“Sales team has a crystal-clear picture around the right sales activities they need to perform daily. In fact, they have a new sales success habit set, which drives them to consistently perform all the right sales activities. Their new sales success habit set supports them to consistently achieve their sales targets, which frees up the sales leadership to become leaders and coaches. The coaching and leadership support they now are able to offer, will also aid your sales team to keep improving their performance. This all adds up to a far more successful sales team and improved sales performance”.
Using this info create a conversation map, which will help you to engage your future customer and allow for conversation rather than a one-way monologue. The secret to make this work for you is to aim to speak no longer than 30 – 45 seconds at a time, before asking and open-ended question to get a response from your future customer.
Research shows that successful “GOLD TELEPHONE CALLS” – ones that resulted in a meeting went as follows:
- Intro, where interest peaked lasted between 5 – 8 seconds
- Sales professional spoke most of the time during the next 3 – 5 minutes. (This is opposite to a Face-to Face meeting where the customer should speak about 60 % of the time)
- The calls were not about “DISCOVERY”, but were rather designed to show meaningful value, so that the future customer would agree to a meeting. (Speak to the more desirable state after they choose to work with your organisation)
- Research shows that Unsuccessful calls are ended in less than three minutes, whilst successful calls lasted almost six minutes. (If you can keep your future customer interested, by speaking to their more desirable state, rather than what your products does, you have a far greater chance of arranging a meeting with them)
- The sales person spends about 60 % of the time speaking and 40 % listening. (This is exactly opposite of what works during a Face-to-Face meetings)
- They included longer monologues of around 45 seconds, which were designed to show “VALUE”. (They spoke to the future customers, more desirable state, after utilising your product or service)
- Research shows that, successful “GOLD PHONE CALLS”, consisted of 70 % more monologues than unsuccessful ones.
- The secret to a successful “GOLD TELEPHONE CALL” is to show enough value, to earn the right to ask questions and ultimately you then get to ask the most important question of all, namely, “WHEN CAN I ARRANGE TO MEET WITH YOU”?
“GOLD PHONE CALLS” are not about discovery, but rather about delivering a sales message, which clearly describes, how your future customer will benefit from choosing your product or service. The purpose of the call is to earn the right to attend a Face-to-Face meeting, where you can probe and ask questions informed questions, so that you can get a deeper understanding of your future customer’s needs.
Research your customers thoroughly, so that you can deliver the perfect sales message, which will show, how your future customer will benefit from working with you and your organisation.
The secret to increasing your success rate when making “GOLD TELEPHONE CALLS”, is to PERSONALISEyour message as far as possible. This is achieved by first conducting research and uncovering as much as you can about each customers unique needs, values and expectations.
- Your message must be personalised as far as possible
- Make the first 5 seconds count
- Ensure that your message positions your organisation, as one who works with clients “JUST LIKE THEM”
- Try to describe how your product or service will support them to:
- Solve a challenge
- Achieve a better outcome
- Reduce costs
- Increase revenue
- Improve efficiencies
- Optimise their life experience
- Try a qualifying statement like “We work with organisations just like yours, where we empower their sales teams to consistently achieve their sales targets. Is that something, that would interest you?
The three magic words for success when making “GOLD PHONE CALLS” is:
You can never be too prepared when making a “GOLD TELEPHONE CALL”. The only limitation here is time. Invest about 3 to a maximum of 5 minutes, qualifying and researching each future customer
- Your job when making a “GOLD TELEPHONE CALL” is to sell an appointment or arrange a Face-to-Face sales meeting. Plan to spend at least 60 % of the call delivering your tailored sales message.
- To really optimise the success, you enjoy when making “GOLD PHONE CALLS”, plan a few well-placed open-ended questions to encourage engagement and back and forth conversation.
- To improve the success, you enjoy when making “GOLD PHONE CALLS”:
- The first five seconds must be really customer centric and earn you the right to speak for an additional 3 – 5 minutes.
- During the next 3 – 5 minutes you will be delivering a sales message, which shows how you will add value to the customer.
- As the call progresses the monologues, will gradually change into dialogues as you begin to ask a few open-ended questions.
- Objections at this stage are always a good sign and show that the future customer is interested, they just have a few concerns, which need to be addressed before they will agree to a meeting.
NEVER ASK – DID I CATCH YOU AT A BAD TIME
- Instead simply Introduce yourself and deliver your initial five second pitch
- Another approach is to start the conversation with a greeting, which includes something like “HOW ARE YOU”. Listen for their answer and then introduce yourself as before.
- Asking someone how they are, is nothing more than standard acceptable social behaviour and is pretty effective at breaking the ice with a prospective future customer.
- The secret when using this approach is to be authentic and to really listen to and respond appropriately to their response.
- You could even try this opener “HOW HAVE YOU BEEN”
- Yes, it does sound a little familiar, but if you have the right type of personality, it is a real winner and increases your chances of getting a meeting by 6 times.
Plan what the next steps are before initiating the call. Research shows that the more prepared you are to speak about the “NEXT STEPS”, the greater the chance of arranging an appointment. Plan to end every call clearly defining the next steps. The more clearly you can define what the customer can expect next, the greater the chance you will make that important Face-to-Face meeting and the less likely it is that the customer will cancel the meeting.
Sales success today, is all about COLLABORATION. This is true, from the moment you pick up the phone. Ensure that you consistently use collaborative language throughout the conversation, as this increases the likelihood of getting a meeting by 35 %.
Incorporate words like:
- Additional resource
By using these collaborative words, reassures your future customer that you are there for the long haul and that you are a partner not just a mere vendor.